Saturday, December 27, 2008

A great Christmas!

Well Christmas is over for another year, except of course for the Greek Orthodox. They will celebrate their Christmas on January 7th. They use the old calender. I always remember theirs, because that is also my birthday! I will be 51 this year. Anyway back to Christmas.
As you all know, my mother in law passed away in the beginning of December. She had made all these different kinds of cookies for the holidays as long as I can remember. But she always made my husband "orange cookies". Sometime after she passed, I heard my husband remark to someone that he would never get orange cookies again. So I did some searching online, and found what I believed to be the cookie he was talking about. On Christmas Eve, he had to work until 8pm. So my youngest son Joey, and I spent the whole day making cookies. I made up a tray of the orange cookies and set them on the counter. When my husband got home from work, that was the first thing he saw! I told him Merry Christmas, this is one of your gifts. He actually got tears in his eyes when I told him what kind they were and why I had made them for him. So for all the things he got, the orange cookies were his favorite gift.
And if you want to get a few tears of your own, check out my friends blog and see her Christmas miracle. It is Sew Happy Quilting in my list on the right. I still can`t seem to make links in my postings.
Tammy

2 comments:

bingo~bonnie said...

what a great gift you gave your husband :) I know that day of getting home from work to come home to orange cookies like his mom use to make made by you...will be a memory he will cherish for a lifetime!

and by the way - Christmas has just started.. 12th day of christmas is in January and we celebrate the Epiphany arrival of the Maji..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphany_(holiday)

Our Tree and lights stay on until Jaunary as we celebrate the whole Christmas season...and in a few years after all the kids are older and know what "breakable" means...we'll later have our wise men travel room to room and show up at our nativity on the Epiphany ;)

Love from Texas! ~bonnie

Pam said...

I love your story about the cookies! Things like that are what Christmas is all about!
Pam